Sunday, June 20, 2010

Summer Watermelon Salad

It's definitely summer in Southern California. I've been spending my new found freedom (ehem unemployment) catching up on books I haven't had time to read, spending time with friends and family, working on applications to grad school, planning a trip to Latin America, and, of course, cooking up a storm. Life couldn't get any better - that is, until I discovered this amazing watermelon salad.

Personally, I'm not fond of the watermelon salads that add cheeses or meats; I find them very off putting and normally avoid them at all costs. This watermelon salad, however, is very different. It's dairy free (like watermelon salads should be) and tastes like a daiquiri from your favorite tropical location. Convinced? I am!

Summer Watermelon Salad
about 4 cups cubed watermelon
1 lime (for juice & zest)
2 tablespoons chopped mint
1 tablespoon chopped basil

In a large bowl combine watermelon and the juice & zest of one lime. Toss in the mint and basil. Let the flavors marinate for about 15 minutes. Serve with your favorite BBQ or keep in the fridge for dessert after BBQ. You could even use the juices from the salad to create a delicious summer martini.

No comments: