Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Paleo Diet

For the past two weeks I have joined a group of Crossfitters in the attempt to eat like a "caveman" for the entire month of October. Supposedly the Paleo Diet is the healthiest diet in the world - removing all dairy, sugar, alcohol, wheat, rice... you get the picture... from your diet. Yes, this has been very very difficult.

I work the typical 8 to 5 with occasional overtime days just because life err work gets busy. A diet like this could seriously damage your routine. I've realized all of my vices were affecting my day to day existence; however, with these changes my life is healthier and my body is happier.

There has definitely been some cheating... drinking my favorite brew of dark coffee in the morning and a glass of wine last Friday night. There have also been some amazing recipes exiting my kitchen. Forced to cook my own food each night, I've surrounded myself with the freshest produce making my creations endless.

Fish in a Pouch (en Papillote)
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 red onion roughly chopped
1/2 bell pepper roughly chopped
1/2 cup chopped dill
juice of 1/2 a lemon
2 small fillets of any white, flaky fish (I used Tilapia)

Preheat oven to 350 F

Cut out a large piece of parchment paper (about 12'' by 12''), this will be the Pouch for the fish, etc. Chop the garlic, onion, bell pepper, dill and anything else you find suitable for flavor. Place the clean fillets of fish on the parchment paper and top with the other ingredients. Squeeze lemon over the top and add a dash of sea salt (no table salt).

Fold & twist up parchment paper creating a pouch. Place in the oven for about 20 minutes.

Cooking en papillote is a different way to steam your food. No oil is needed and your dish always comes out moist and flavorful. I try to add as much intensely flavored ingredients to a white fish en papillote so I won't need to use salt in the end. In fact, you could even top off the steamed fish with this lemony pesto . . .

12 more days to go . . . wish me luck!

1 comment:

E. Chloe Lauer said...

Hi Lisa! The Paleo diet sounds like a lot of fun. How are you feeling in your body? More energy? Just wanted you to know I featured your blog and the Mango Lassi recipe on my blog today. :)