Saturday, February 27, 2010

Breakfast for Athletes

I love pancakes but I don't love the heavy, slouchy, lazy feeling I have after I gorge myself with buttermilk pancakes, french toast or waffles. As a result, I rarely eat such high density, carb overloading options for breakfast, especially during the week days.

This new recipe is anything but unhealthy, yet it also satisfies the pancake cravings. Using coconut flour (you can find this at your local Whole Foods), whipped-up egg whites and a ripe banana, you are able to achieve a "pancake" like breakfast that leaves you feeling satisfied and ready to take on the day. I promise.


Just check out this recipe below...

Banana Pancakes... a lighter version

2 large bananas, smashed
2 eggs
2 egg whites
2 tbsps high quality honey
2 tsps vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup coconut flour (or Almond Meal)
Olive oil or butter for the frying pan

Directions
Combine smashed bananas, eggs, honey, vanilla and baking soda with a whisk or fork. Add the coconut flour and combine well. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped egg whites into the pancake mixture.

I like to top mine off with some blueberries while they are cooking in the frying pan. You could also add some coconut flakes, strawberries, walnuts, you get the idea.

In a frying pan, heat 1 tbsp butter or olive oil. Lastly, fry up your "pancakes"!


Recipe courtesy of a new Paleo/Gluten/Fitness friendly blog, SweetCheeksHQ.com

3 comments:

Jennie said...

I always prefer a lighter breakfast too. I do love pancakes though! These sound light and delicious! I love the sound of the coconut flour!

ms.sinn said...

OK...so I tried these this weekend, and forgot to whip the egg whites, so they of course didn't turn out- luckily, I always test the first couple before making the whole batch...sooooo, I ended up baking up a pan of breakfast bars (really more cake-like) out of the rest of the batter. Double the recipe to fit a 9x13 pan. Once I decided I was baking them like a cake, I added a half cup of oats, half cup of buckwheat flour, and two scoops of vanilla-whey-protein powder, and a touch of splenda. I baked at 350 for about 30 minutes, and had a healthy breakfast bar that really tasted like banana bread...

Lisa Engel said...

ahh such a good cook since you know how to improvise! Whipping the egg whites is definitely key, but these pancakes cook really really fast and can be difficult to flip.